9 No-Brainer Ways to Promote Your Content

So you started a blog (or vlog), spent a few hours perfecting your prose (or pose) and are finally confident enough to hit the publish button. To unleash your hard work, made up of your salty sweat, tears and expertise, unto the world. Congratulations! Now it's time to really get down to business.

You might be like, "Ho-ho-hold up. I thought I was done here."

No, ma'am. Just because you publish something doesn't mean people will flock to your URL — you gotta get them there. Leave a trail of digital breadcrumbs, if you will. In fact, I'd say that creating the content is only 20% of the job. Marketing and promoting your work is the other 80%.

promoteyourcontent

If you're spending two hours a week creating something, you might expect to spend eight hours a week sharing, socializing, pimping, promoting, and marketing that content in a number of different ways and places. It seems like a lot of time, but if you want people to consume your content (and subsequently find your business and buy something) it has to be done.

So what are you supposed to do once your posts go live on the interwebs? Here's a checklist to get you started:

  1. Share on your social networks: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram and anywhere else you have a meaningful presence. If you use a platform like Hootsuite or Tweetdeck that allows you to schedule your posts ahead of time, go ahead and schedule four or five more tweets for the days and week ahead. Twitter moves fast and it's OK to post about one thing multiple times in this case. Pro tip: switch up the copy for each tweet to keep things fresh. For example, you could tweet a quote, excerpt, an overview, or tease why someone should read your post.
  2. Optimize your website for social sharing. Use a plugin to add social sharing buttons to your site overall and on each post.
  3. Reach out to other bloggers and sites that might be interested in sharing or swapping your post (click the link to find out how).
  4. Submit your post to Stumbleupon and Reddit. Word of warning: don't spam these locales every time you post. Be sure to learn the intricacies of these communities so that you don't get "down-voted" (aka, marked a spammer) and booted from the site entirely.
  5. Share your post with any and all of your partner sites. (Haven't you started a link partnership yet?)
  6. Sign up or request to be a guest blogger. Check out this massive list of sites that accept guest posts.
  7. Send it out to your email list.
  8. Optimize your site for RSS feeds so people can subscribe to receive your posts automatically.
  9. Leave thoughtful comments on other people's blogs. Make sure your URL is in your signature or community profile. This may not be directly marketing the content you just published, but if you show up frequently, people will start to recognize you. Be respectful, thoughtful and add value to the conversation, and people might even start respecting you (and reading your stuff).

Do you spend time promoting your content? If not, what's keeping you from doing so? Lets talk about your biggest fears, hurdles and objections in the comments.

Source: unsplash.com